Rumours that Manchester City are pursuing Barcelona man grow but Argentinian wants to show he can step up

 

 

Willy Caballero is out to prove that he can be Manchester City‘s new number one goalkeeper.

The Argentine stopper was a shock selection in Pep Guardiola‘s first Blues team as they began the season with a 2-1 win over Sunderland.

And that came amid rumours of a row between Joe Hart and Guardiola over the England man’s adaptation to the new manager’s system.

City are also said to be hot on the heels of Barcelona keeper Marc Andre Ter Stegen, who is currently out with a knee ligament strain.

But Caballero aims to seize his chance, although Guardiola has already said he is not sure whether Hart will be recalled for Tuesday night’s Champions League play-off first leg at Steaua Bucharest.

“This kind of decision is for the boss and for the club, but the most important thing for me is to just enjoy the game that I had, to keep improving and keep trying to play as the boss wants to play,” said Caballero.

 

He added that Guardiola’s demand that his keeper is comfortable with passing the ball out from the back, is crucial – and he almost messed up by giving the ball to Sunderland’s Duncan Watmore early in the game.

“This is a very important change,” he said. “Sometimes we are taking risks when we pass the ball at the back and my first pass was really, really complicated because they could have scored.

“After that we played better from the back and we can start playing as the boss wants, but we need minutes together.

“Two or three players have arrived in the last week. John Stones played like a player who has has been here for the last three or four years.

 

 

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/willy-caballero-manchester-city-hart-11746736