Man City executive Txiki Begiristain will not rule out trying to prise away some Pep Guardiola’s current squad with the Blues linked with a move for Sebastian Rode.
Manchester City will not rule out raiding Bayern Munich this summer, despite the German side insisting Pep Guardiola will not be allowed take their best players with him when he moves to the Etihad Stadium in July.
Guardiola will replace Manuel Pellegrini on July 1 when his contract with Bayern expires and there have been widespread reports he wants to take a handful of his current players with him.
Bayern have repeatedly insisted that won’t happen – but Txiki Begiristain, City’s sporting director, hinted over the weekend that the Blues would not be put off making moves for their star names.
“I can’t promise anything,” Begiristain said. “Our goal is as always to put together a strong squad. Just like Bayern Munich are doing.”
“For months we have been working on a new team and who knows how things will come together.”
But Rummenigge, clearly irked, has hit back, telling Bild : “I have been wondering somewhat about statements made by our colleagues from Manchester City, because contracts are contracts and that also applies to Manchester City.”
City had been linked with a move for David Alaba – but the Germans moved quickly to tie him down to a new deal.
“It shows Bayern Munich are the ones at the wheel,” said Rummenigge. “That was our goal. And in the case of David Alaba, it shows that Bayern Munich decides what is going on and not just any English club who can make fancy offers.”
Bayern midfielder Sebastian Rode is the latest to be linked with a move to City, according to a report in The Mirror .
With City’s midfield in need of an overhaul, the Spaniard is tipped to make Rode one of his first signings as City boss.
The Mirror believe Rode falls outside of the group of players Bayern will look to ring-fence, with City expected to lodge a £10 million bid for the 25-year-old.